Tuesday, January 31, 2017

P-Day 82

Hi mom!

Enjoy your "cold." It got up to 45 and I wore like a short sleeve shirt haha. Arizona summer is going to be terrible horrible no good very bad for real. Haha they won't find anything to tease me about!!!*

As far as missionaries going home over it**, I haven't been around many that went home early at all. But I can see it as being a problem. I have met many missionaries who just don't have any social skills at all. I take them OYMing and they freak out talking to people. Or like, if I go out of the way to talk to someone or something, they just can't handle it. They can teach just fine but anything outside of that is just plain awkward for them. Those who do the best on missions are definitely those that played sports. Those who struggle the most, those who mostly played computer games or such.

It was a pretty disappointing week. Vue Yang, decided to get baptized into another church. He was so strong and then just fell off. I came back and he had fallen away and I tried so hard. He even said "I hope the father forgives me for joining this church." He pushed his baptism back so he could still think about it. But I think you just have to let a child put his hand on the stove to learn. 

We did get a miracle though. We visited a less active who just had a baby. He wants the baby to get blessed and he talked about coming to church. But he wants his wife to get baptized so we are going to start teaching her tonight! Hopefully they can start progressing for real.

Besides that it was a pretty basic week, we went on exchanges. It was a weird exchange on the hmong part because we had a members trailer burn down so we helped there, I had to extend some callings, and Elder Poppleton had to go to the doctors for his toe. So it was a weird exchange. But love you!
Elder Hayden Frey

*My siblings, regarding him not being "red-dotted" anymore
** I shared a quote from Elder Ballard when he was here in AZ last week for a devotional talking about how some missionaries are coming home early due to "anxiety" that they had not previously had an issue with.  Elder Ballard said he feels it is because youth spend so much time on phones, computer, and social media that they don't know how to talk to people.  His best advice to prepare for a mission was to "put down your phone and go have a real conversation with people".

No comments:

Post a Comment