Monday, July 13, 2015

First Assignment

I heard last week (unofficially from another missionary momma on facebook) that Elder Frey had been assigned to the Hmong branch- speaking Hmong.  I learned this while I was at girls camp and didn't have time to learn what Hmong even was.  But, given the fact that 1. I had never heard of it. 2. Hayden was called to an English speaking mission and therefore was not taught any of it in the MTC. and 3. Hayden had been so excited to be in an English speaking mission~ I was a bit worried about him all week.  More like in a panic.  Today's email (with confirmation of his assignment and also his feelings on the matter) could not come soon enough.  I learned that I need to let go.  He is in the Lord's hands and he will be fine.  I was worried for nothing.

Hi mom!
Alaska is so beautiful! At first I thought it was freezing being in the low 70s. Now anything above 75 feels hot! We are really busy.  We have 8 investigators with a baptism date already! And 4 more this week hopefully. They are ready, now it's time to commit them. We have a few more families we have found and are ready to teach and commit soon. We are really, really busy!
Yes I am speaking Hmong. I found out Tuesday. I am also in the bishopric of the Hmong branch: Second counselor. Elder Vang is Hmong and knows the language and is teaching me. I can read already and it's been a week. I introduced myself in sacrament meeting in Hmong and they loved it! They smiled and laughed!!! I may have butchered it or whatever but they loved it. Teaching is hard but we are working through it. They feed us well. We haven't bought groceries or lunch or
dinner because they feed us or pay for us at Walmart. They are good people. 
My companion is the second tallest in the branch and I am taller than him by 7 inches.  I tower over everybody! I have been working out hard every morning and taking protein and eating healthy (as I can control) and I have gained 15 pounds. You won't recognize me soon.
We are going hiking after I email and I will send pictures. I have seen lots of bears and no moose yet. We were at morning sports and a bear was running around the parking lot!!  Nobody cared. I have a hard time sleeping. I don't know why but hopefully it'll get better! I am doing well though!
Love
Elder Frey

Oh yeah and my companion is awesome! We workout and we have two guitars that we play and sing it's fun!!!!!

I found out by emailing back and forth again that his companion is from California.  The branch is in Anchorage, as is their apartment, but their area covers the entire state of Alaska- wherever there are Hmong people.  He doesn't have his drivers license yet, so his companion drives them everywhere.  He said the 15 pounds is all muscle (haha!) 
There is a woman in the branch named Mee Lee who takes good care of the missionaries.  When I asked if he needed anything this was his response:

We have everything. Mee Lee took care of us. She feeds us like everyday. Others have to fight to get her away from us. She also gives us like 50 each for dinner and refuses to take it back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment